Monday, October 22, 2012

This Is Halloween and Reddit double challenge: Gradient

AAARRRGHHHHH

OK. Now that I've got that out of the way, let me just say that this challenge has seriously challenged me at every turn. I am very happy with the result.. but man. It was quite a thing getting to it.

Today just happens to be gradient day for both challenges I'm participating in: The Reddit Laqueristas 52 Week Challenge and the This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge.

I have never done a gradient before. Technically, I am so new to all of this that everything I do is a first. I am the sort of person to jump in the deep end though. None of this two colour horizontal gradient thing. Oh no. I think I'll do a vertical tri colour gradient! What could go wrong? ಠ_ಠ. Well.. It turns out the answer is "a lot". But all's well that ends well.

Halloween nail art challenge. Halloween gradient with dots.

If you want to read my rant about my troubles, it'll be at the end. I don't want to force my rage upon the innocent.

Anywho! I love this. I mean.. look at it! It looks so much better in person though, these colours wouldn't photograph (see rant). My nails kinda look like glowing embers.

Halloween nail art challenge. Halloween gradient with dots.

The gradient is sponged on (in three layers of sponging) using China Glaze Grape Pop, China Glaze Adventure Red-y and Essie Orange, It's Obvious! The glitter dots are Nubar Violet Sparkle, China Glaze Ruby Pumps and China Glaze Riveting.

I figured the colours were Halloweeny enough while still being a bit different.

(begin rant)
The first problem I encountered was crappy make up sponges. They liked to disintergrate during the delicate sponging process. I eventually had to raid the cupboard in the laundry and cut up some old sponges used for shining shoes (lol) to get to the clean and non-greasy inside.

They wouldn't hold enough polish. They were so.. spongey. I eventually got them cooperating by making the coloured area on the sponge wider than my nail and then squishing the sponge to condense the area (and colour) before sponging. Success!

And then.. The damn colours, would not photograph. The purple was blue. The red was orange. I never learn. I have tried photographing these colours before without much success. I took a million pictures in every different lighting available. Eventually I found a couple pictures I managed to prod into some semblance of real life using photoshop. grumblegrumle.

Just be aware that the red is supposed to be there, and is rich and gorgeous. The purple is deeper and richer (especially the purple sparkles) and the orange is a bit deeper too.
(end rant)

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge.

Next up for the Halloween challenge is Witches! Neat! And next week on the Reddit challenge we have "Orange".

Make sure you check out the other talented ladies below, also participating in the This Is Halloween challenge!

16 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! God I bet they look even more awesome IRL. I'm like you, even when I was new at everything I was like I DON'T WANNA DO STUFF LIKE EVERYONE ELSE LET'S MAKE IT WAY HARDER!!!

    Also, purples in general are a pain in the ass to photograph. Every time I wear a purple that I'm in love with I get so frustrated at not being able to show everyone else how TRULY PRETTY it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whitney! And it's definitely good to challenge yourself, even if you're new. I plan everything in my head, but when things go wrong I am really stubborn and persistent. I'm determined to make things work.

      And as for purples (and cool-toned reds) I have this theory that some colours are just so awesome that they don't exist in the digital world, haha.

      Delete
  2. These look amazing!!!!! Though you're right, the red does come out really orange. A photoshop suggestion: take the same photo, duplicate it on two overlapping layers of the same photoshop file. Tweak one of them so that the purple comes out right, and the other so that the red comes out right. Then take the top layer, and "erase" the colour that doesn't look right, replacing it with alpha transparency. Blur the edges a bit so that the transparency isn't so clear cut but gradual. That way, you'll be showing the colour from the bottom layer where that colour is most true to real life.

    Did that make any sense?

    Either way, I love your inspiration as always! Never boring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moana! I did actually do something similar in photoshop, except I selected the purple and feathered the selection. The red is a lost cause right now. I've tried fixing Ruby Pumps before and it was downright impossible.

      I did some research and found that the colour spectrum that photoshop uses (aRGB) doesn't actually reach all the way into the richest reds and purples :(. So the colours literally aren't available. Crazy! I'm not going to accept defeat though. I plan to do more research and try figure something out.

      If I ever do I'll share!

      Delete
  3. These are fantastic!! Wowzers! <3 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're new to this?! LIAR! These are fantastic!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! it's true! I am not new to art and creative stuff though, since I paint (with acrylics) (sometimes). It's more that I'm just really stubborn. I pick things that are challenging and they frustrate me SO MUCH, because I don't know what I'm doing lol. But I persist and figure it out :D.

      I'm so glad you like them!

      Delete
  5. Wow your nails are gorgeous! Great gradient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Erin! I'm really happy I managed to get them looking vaguely like they did in my head (after much trial and error).

      Delete
  6. These look AMAZING! And these are also super phenomenal for a first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kas! Simple stubbornness and persistence won out in the end.

      Delete
  7. I absolutely LOVE this! Looks like I figured out which mani I'm going to replicate at the end ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I can't wait to see it :D.

      Delete
  8. They look amazing. You might want to try dampening the sponge, not too much, and then the polish doesn't absorb so much. Also try not to keep going when it's dry of polish, that's when it disintegrates. I never would have thought you hadn't done this before though, fab colour choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! I went out and bought different sponges before I did the gradient for my Trick or Treat nails and they worked much better, so I think it was mainly a hardware issue.

      I'll definitely try dampening the sponge a tiny bit. Seems like a good idea!

      Delete

Your comments mean a lot to me. I really love reading your opinions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...