Thursday, October 25, 2012

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge: Witches

I decided to take a break from the creepy Halloweeny colours and looks. I did have some pretty neat ideas for some creepier witch nails, but this time The Wizard of Oz won out. Yep. I will never pass up an opportunity to use a polish that is impossible to photograph - like Ruby Pumps. I just like to torture myself like that.

For this mani my inspiration was two of the witches from The Wizard of Oz. Firstly, The Wicked Witch of the East - that poor dear we never get to meet because she ended up unceremoniously crushed under Dorothy's house. The only part of her we see are her black and white striped legs adorned with the gorgeous ruby slippers. The other inspiration, for my ring finger, was the kind and beautiful Glinda, the Good Witch.

Halloween Nail Art Challenge Witches. Glinda and Wicked Witch of the East Wizard of Oz nails.

Ahhh! It's so cute! My nails look like little ruby slippered footses. And the Glinda nail just calls to my inner fairy princess. Here's the very old but in no way less awesome inspiration:

Wizard of Oz Wicked Witch of the East and Glinda. Nail art inspiration.

I've always wanted my own pair of ruby slippers. One day I am going to make some and proudly wear them with stripey tights (or socks). 

Halloween Nail Art Challenge Witches. Glinda and Wicked Witch of the East Wizard of Oz nails.

I started this mani by painting my ring finger pink using three coats of Mavala Candy Floss and then topping it with a coat of OPI Princesses Rule for added sparkle. The other three got two coats of China Glaze White On White.

For the ruby slipper nails I painted the stripes on using a striper brush and A-England Bridal Veil. I thought the tiny sprinkling of holo in Bridal Veil would be a nice change from plain black. Such a gorgeous polish! I then blocked in the red "shoe" part with a dotting tool and China Glaze Adventure Red-y before topping it with China Glaze Ruby Pumps (of course!). Little red rhinestones and a coat of Seche Vite finished it off!

Halloween Nail Art Challenge Witches. Glinda and Wicked Witch of the East Wizard of Oz nails.

I really like this picture. The little stone in the middle of Glinda's wand is reflecting the light so strongly that it looks like it's glowing (with magic no doubt). Bonus: you can see a hint of the spectacular glittery awesomeness that is China Glaze Ruby Pumps on the side of my middle finger.

For the Glinda nail I did a glitter gradient using three different glitters: Chi Chi Disco Diva and Celebrity Melt Down (a fine holo and a chunkier hex holo) and OPI Teenage Dream. I used a star hole punch on masking tape to make a sticky star stencil and used that to block in the star in silver (Orly Shine). I then used topcoat and a tiny dotting tool to placing extremely tiny little silver balls on the star, as well as a clear rhinestone in the centre. The "handle" for the wand is a piece of very thin silver wire that I stuck on with topcoat. I topped the nail with seche and voila!

A whole lot of polish and nail art stuff.

For interests sake, this is a picture of the stuff I have on my nails. Fun times! Polishes, L-R: Princesses Rule, Teenage Dream, Candy Floss, Celebrity Melt Down, Shine, Disco Diva, White On White, Adventure Red-y, Bridal Veil, Ruby Pumps.

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge 2012.

Make sure you check out the other participants in this great Halloween challenge below! Next up is graveyard. I'm excited!

29 comments:

  1. Wow. Amazing job! You're doing great with your blog. Are you really a beginner? It sure doesn't look like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaitlyn! I am new to nail art, but not art in general. So the biggest thing is getting used to the tiny, funny shaped canvases and weird, fast drying paint, haha.

      Delete
  2. I love this! This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i literally don't think i could love this more. the shoes, the wand, it's all perfection. give me these now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep putting my pointer and middle finger down and doing little can can dances. because you know... shoes... I'm such a dork.

      If you're ever in New Zealand I will gladly give them to you :D

      Delete
    2. the mental image of this is amazing, i'm pretty sure i would do the same thing haha!

      Delete
  4. cute cute cute!
    I just bought red shoes that make me feel like Dorothy, perhaps I'll have to try and recreate a Wizard of Oz inspired manicure when I wear them haha.

    Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you should totally do a Wizard of Oz mani to go with your shoes. The ruby slipper nails I did really weren't that hard. Especially if you tape the stripes (which I did on my right hand because I was not 100% confident in freehanding them).

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you Lorene. I didn't expect the little shoes to be quite as adorable as they turned out.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm kinda sad to take them off heh.

      Delete
  7. Phwoar I LOVE these! What a great idea, and with impeccable execution :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very high praise. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  8. Nice witchy inspiration. I understand the lust for red glittery shoes. I bought some highly impractical ones, but they are fun to look at. Almost as much fun as looking at your nails! They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always keep my eyes open for some affordable and reasonably comfy shoes that would look good covered in red glitter. The impractical ones are usually the best to look at though haha. I have some like that. I call them "dinner shoes". Because they are only really good for tottering from car to fancy restaurant and back.

      Delete
  9. This is WONDERFUL! The Wizard of Oz is my favorite movie of all time! I'm new to the nail polish art thing but I have to try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karrie! Thanks! I love the movie too. I mean, my blog is named after the song from The Wizard of Oz! You should definitely try this. It wasn't that hard, especially if you use tape for the stripes (I managed to do it on my right hand). I cut out little curved bits of tape to do the tips for that hand too because I didn't feel comfortable doing it freehand with my left hand!

      Delete

Your comments mean a lot to me. I really love reading your opinions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...