Tuesday, October 30, 2012

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge: Recreate

Aww. I've had such fun with this challenge and I'm sad it's finished. Man, October flew by. I loved this challenge and looking at everyone's take on each day. You ladies are all wonderful!

For this final day I had to recreate my favourite manicure from another challenger. There were a lot I liked, some I couldn't do because I lacked some of the colours I would have needed. In the end, I picked something that made me laugh a lot at the uniqueness of the idea. It's also something I knew would truly challenge me!

I picked Sonoma Nail Art's Zombie manicure. Her take on it was to do a Rob Zombie manicure. Awesome, hilarious idea!

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge. Rob Zombies nails.

Ta-da! So what did I learn from this challenge? Well. a Couple things. 1. Tiny faces are just as hard to paint as normal faces. 2. Rob Zombie looks like Jesus. Zombie Jesus.


Rob Zombie.

This is the original image that was used for Sonoma Nail Art's manicure. Creepy!

Upside down Rob Zombie.

This was my reference. Hey, painting upside down is hard ok. Holding my hand the other way around to paint right side up is just too uncomfortable. 

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge. Rob Zombies nails.

I started with three coats of OPI I Don't Give A Rotterdam (This is probably one of my favourite polishes. It's just so pretty and those gold sparkles! Ahh!). 

Mini Rob (as I came to call him, whilst begging him to just -work- for me) was painted using white and black fluid acrylic paints and a tiny brush.

The blood spatter was done using a straw and China Glaze Adventure Red-y. I just coated the end in polish and blew through the straw onto my nail. I think Sonoma used a small straw, but I only had normal sized ones. So my blood spatter is a bit more.. dramatic.

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge 2012.

And that's that. Thanks so much to Bec at Lacquer Dreams for this awesome challenge.

The next challenge I plan to take part in is a new 31 Day Challenge hosted by Nailed It NZ and two of her fellow bloggers. It starts in December, so if you're interested in taking part, make sure you have a look at the page and sign up!

14 comments:

  1. Now I'm not a Rob Zombie fan(Why did he ruin the magic that was John Carpenter's Halloween...but that's another story), but I would be lying if I said this was anything less than phenomenal. You are wicked talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Kas! I'm not really a Rob Zombie fan either. I think I had one of his songs in my collection when I was a teenager. Still a hilarious zombie idea thoguh hehe.

      Delete
  2. i don't have any words. i can't even IMAGINE being able to paint this level of detail on my nails. AMAZEBALLS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a lot of patience, a lot of cursing, a lot of pleading with Mini Rob and a lot of this face :q

      Delete
  3. What the..! :O That's amazing. I actually thought from the first picture that it's one of those do-it-yourself water decals.

    You make me feel ashamed of my own clumsiness. :|

    BTW, what's that liquid acrylic paint thingy? Is it more of a fluid than those acrylic paints that are sold in small tubes for nail art? I can never get them to work cause they're too thick (and I'm clumsy)... What brand is it and where are they sold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maija! Thanks so much! Don't worry, I had plenty of clumsy moments during this that I just covered up with more paint. By the end I'd figured out that applying paint in tiiiny little dots was easier to control than actually trying to "paint". If you look closely you can see that a lot of the shading is built up with little light touches of the tip of the brush.

      Fluid acrylic paint is just what it sounds like. It's still really pigmented, but in a more runny, free flowing consistency. I love it and hate using the tube stuff now! I still mix it with a bit of water when I paint, but it blends and mixes really easily.

      The brand I used is Golden and I buy it from my local art supply store. It's one of the bigger brands and I'm sure you can get it from any art store.

      Delete
  4. Haha, oh my, zombie Jesus! He's kinda scary looking!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes he is. But all good zombies should be!

      Delete
  5. I didn't even know you just started this, I literally read every post. You're soo talented!! *adds blog to my list of everyday reading" ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks so much! I don't post every day (although I -hopefully- will in December with the new 31 Day Challenge I'm doing). A girl needs a break now and then!

      If you don't have bloglovin you should totally sign up and add your favourite blogs. It's amazing. It puts a little icon at the top of your browser that notifies you of new posts!

      I just found your Nail Boarders Unite blog. What a cool idea!

      Delete
  6. Hahahaha! This is AWESOME! Thank you so much for liking my Zombie nails and I hope you had fun doing them too. I was giggling the whole time I painted mine. Yours turned out really amazing. And the whole painting a face upside down trick is actually really smart. Our brains get in the way of painting faces, but simple tricks like turning the image upside down help fool your brain out of "painting a face" and actually painting what you see. This is KICK ASS! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much! I'm so glad I did your (hilarious) mani justice. And I did have a lot of fun doing it. Thanks for the awesome inspiration!

      Delete
  7. That is really amazing! I can only hope to have the patience and steady hands to do something like this freehand someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I spend a lot of time holding my breath when I do tiny detailing. It keeps me steadier. I have to keep stopping to breathe for a bit though or I get light headed, haha.

      Delete

Your comments mean a lot to me. I really love reading your opinions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...