Sunday, October 28, 2012

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge: Graveyard

This was fun! I think the general idea for the "Graveyard" challenge is more along the cemetery route, but that's not necessarily what I think of. A graveyard, to me, is less formal somehow. I (randomly) thing of elephant graveyards, unmarked graves and mass graves.

For this challenge I decided go more with the mass grave/unmarked graves idea by doing piles of bones. We'll never know who these old bones belong too, but they look pretty neat and creepy chillin on my tips.

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge 2012. Graveyard pile of bones nails. OPI Skull & Glossbones.

Yay! Call me weird, but I have a bit of a thing for bones and skulls. They're just kind of awesome.

I started with two coats of OPI Skull & Glossbones (of course. How fitting). Let me just say that I love this colour. It's so creepy looking.

The piles of bones are painted on using fluid acrylic paints and a teensy brush. I blocked it all out in black first and then went back in with white to do the shapes. This was 2-3 coats of the white. Holding my breath for a steady hand. I then mixed white with a tiny bit of black and yellow ochre and added a bit of shadowing and weatheredness.


This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge 2012. Graveyard pile of bones nails. OPI Skull & Glossbones.

My pointer and middle are my favourites. I really like how the random hand on my middle finger turned out, and the ribcage on my pointer and two skulls are just neat!

I originally topped the whole thing with Seche Vite, but I sat there frowning at the shiny-ness for a while before going "It needs matte." A coat of Essie Matte About You gave the dry bones and velvety background you see before you. Glossbones no more. Skull & Mattebones. 

Which is your favourite finger? Do you think bones and skulls are creepy or cool (or both)?

This is a very busy few days in nail land. The wonderful This Is Halloween challenge ends with three back to back challenges. I also need to find time amidst those to do my Reddit challenge for the week. Oh noes!

Special side note: I am now on Facebook! If you would like updates through there or just want to stop by and make the new account feel less lonely, then that would be great!


This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge 2012.

Make sure you check out the other talented ladies participating in this challenge below.

10 comments:

  1. This looks great! I love it! you did a great job =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It's super creative and amazingly well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call making these matte! They look supa cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This mani is DOPE!!! I love the design!! Very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower here, saw you on Reddit lol! This mani is AWESOME, I love the details :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you! And Redditors are always welcome.

      Delete
  6. omg girl WHAT DID YOU DO. SO GREAT. my fave fingas are the middle & ring. it looks so much like an elephant graveyard albeit with human skulls and such. also good call on mattifying, i still don't know when to matte and when to keep shiny and it's a pretty big source of stress for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Whitney! I don't know if I could have tackled elephant skulls. They're kinda funky lookin. And do not worry about the matte stress. Since we are now BFFs you will be able to consult with me on these matters (matte-rs.. get it.. heh..)

      Delete
  7. This is AMAZING! Your new at this???? I so look forward to seeing what your next post is! I will be sure to come back and check. This is really a great Halloween mani. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. I really love reading your opinions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...