Monday, October 15, 2012

This Is Halloween Nail Art Challenge: Zombies

Hell yeah zombies. I'm not a huge fan of fast, scary, used-to-be-my-neighbour zombies. But zombies of the funny kind are awesome. Zombieland is a great movie. So I was pretty excited about this!

I had a few different ideas which I drew on paper in actual nail size to figure out what was possible. In the end hungry little cartoon zombies trapped on my nail that will never get to that delicious brain is what won. (That was a long sentence).

Halloween nail art challenge. Zombie nails. Brains.

So there they are! I think they're adorable, but I do feel a bit sorry for the poor lil guys. The one on my pinky is my favourite. He seems blissfully unaware despite his dangly eye having apparently noticed the brain. I think I'll call him Ed. Ed the zombie.

Halloween nail art challenge. Zombie nails. Brains.

The brain is actually 3D and extra brainy looking. It was built up in layers. To make it even more 3D, once I'd put the top coat on and let it set a while, I poked at it with a tiny dotting tool and coaxed it into the slimey, bumpy, brainy mass you see before you.

Halloween nail art challenge zombies concept sketch.

For interests sake, this is the original concept drawing I did. In the end I put the brain on my middle finger though. I wanted two larger fingers on either side and my pinky is like a finger mini me.

Halloween zombie nails and brains in progress.

A random in progress pic. A couple layers of brain and the heads of the zombies blocked out. I love the colour of the background on the zombie nails. I used two coats of OPI Fly and then layered a coat of OPI I Don't Give A Rotterdam over the top. The result was a muted teal with subtle gold sparklies. It was almost a shame to cover it up!

L-R: Elephantastic Pink, Shade 8, I Don't Do Dishes, My Pointe Exactly.

Everything was done using dotting tools and colours I mixed from multiple polishes. Except the black for outlines which is black fluid acrylic paint. The above picture is one of the combinations I used for brain colouring. I also used a bit of yellow.

In case you really want to know, these are all the polish colours I used: 

OPI: I Don't Give A Rotterdam, Fly, Need Sunglasses?, Elephantastic Pink, My Pointe Exactly, Care To Danse?, Suzi Loves Cowboys

China Glaze: White On White, Recycle

Essie: Pretty Edgy, Limited Addiction (the blood, which didn't photograph well. It looks awesome and dark and bloody in person)

Chi Chi: I Don't Do Dishes, Capital H.I.M

BC Co.:  Shade 8

"This Is Halloween" Nail Art Challenge 2012.

Thanks for looking and please check out all the other talented ladies below!

14 comments:

  1. These are truly amazing!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole! I'm so glad you like them :D

      Delete
  2. i LOVE how phat the middle finger is ;) it can double as intestins or brains both zommbie feed ;) <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes. Delicious zombie food! Nom nom nom.

      Delete
  3. Oh My God I am in LOVE with these! You are so talented it's crazy!! Amazing job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristine! Comments like yours make all the effort worthwhile.

      Delete
  4. These are SO COOL! God that brain is awesome! And the zombie faces are priceless. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you! I must say I'm getting a bit attached to the little guys. I wish I could give them some brains.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Amoki! Your nails were so extremely creepy.

      Delete
  6. OMG, you're totally crazy saying my mani is better than yours. Yours is soo cool! Your zombies are awesome, and how did you get that depth on that brain??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! They're just different! I really fail at stamping for some reason.

      For the brain I did fairly thick layers on the raised part with dotting tools and only used a small amount of polish in the crevices. I did it all fairly quickly, only waiting for one layer to set but not dry before doing the next.

      When I put the top coat on, I let that set for a little bit and then poked at it all with a tiny dotting tool. I pushed the crevices down and kind of.. gently "fluffed" up the raised bits. It was pretty fun! You do have to be persistent though, because as the top coat dries it keeps wanting to level out a bit.

      I'm so glad you like it! :D

      Delete
  7. You are a true artist I don't think I can do anything like this. All my " artwork" are sloppy and look nothing like the real thing hahaha. Great job again! How do u keep ur cuticles looking so moist before taking photos bi put lotion the night before the morning snap shot but cuticles looks dry when I photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda. Thank you! All the freehand stuff I do takes a lot of time and patience. And holding my breath for a steady hand. It can be really frustrating. Touch up one part, mess up another part. Continue until mildly satisfied!

    For my cuticles I always mosturize right before I take pics and really work it in around my nails. I do suffer from dry hands! Just make sure you give it about 10 mins to sink in and always wipe your nails off with a dry towel or paper towel or something to wipe off any greasy lotion and buff them back into shiny-ness.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me. I really love reading your opinions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...